Traditional Maltese Easter sweet – Kwareżimal
25th Jan 2020
- 200 g ground almonds
- 200 g plain flour, sifted
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange blossom water (ilma żahar)
- Grated zest of one lemon, one orange and one mandarin
- 4 tbsp thyme honey
- Crushed pistachios and almonds and grated orange zest to decorate.
- Combine all the ingredients and add just enough water to make a tough dough.
- Knead lightly into an bite-sized oval shape.
- Place on a baking dish and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- While they are still warm, coat with thyme honey and sprinkle crushed pistachios and almonds and grated zest.