Molasses adds a delicious flavor to these spicy muffins.
150g butter or margarine, at room temperature
175g dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg, at room temperature, beaten
225g cooked or canned pumpkin
¼ tsp salt
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
50g currants, raisins or dried apricots.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Grease 14 muffin cups or use paper cases.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter or margarine. Add the sugar and molasses and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and pumpkin and stir until well blended.
- Sift over the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold just enough to blend: do not overmix.
- Fold in the dried fruits.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them three-quarters full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Serve warm or cold.
From my favourite recipe book: 500Greatest-Ever Cake Recipes.