Zingy Lemon Bars
These soft lemon filled slices are tart and tangy with a buttery biscuit base that makes this recipe very moreish indead! Dusted with icing sugar they make a great tea time treat.
- Makes 24
- Preparation time 20 mins
- Baking time 55 mins – 1 hour (20 mins followed by 35-40 mins)
For the base:
- 125g butter, cut into small cubes
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tbsp milk
For the lemon topping:
- 200g condensed milk
- 400ml double cream
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 large unwaxed lemons
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 170 C/150 C fan/gas mark 3. Grease a 20x30cm deep non-stick baking or roasting tin and line the base with baking paper.
- For the base, place the butter, sugar, flour and milk in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Press the mixture down well into the prepared tin and bake for 20 mins until golden.
- Prepare the lemon topping while the base is baking by whisking together the condensed ilk, ream, sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and juice, then the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the base from the oven and pour in the lemon mixture so the base is completely covered. Return to the oven and bake for 35-40 mins until the top is set and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into bars and removing from the tin. Use a hot sharp knife to ensure a clean cut and store the bars in an airtight container.
From the magazine ‘Making cakes & bakes’