15th Jun 2013
Ingredients (Makes 450g)
- 110g unsalted (sweet) butter
- 350g icing sugar
- 15-30ml milk or water
- A few drops of vanilla extract or alternative flavouring
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and continue to beat until the mixture changes colour.
- Add just enough milk or water to give a firm but spreadable consistency.
- Flavor by adding the vanilla or alternative flavouring, then store he buttercream in an airtight container until required.
Try replacing the liquid in the recipes with:
- Alcohols such as whisky, rum or brandy
- Other liquids such as coffee, melted chocolate, lemon curd or fresh fruit purees
- Nut butters to make a praline flavor
- Flavours such as mint or rose extract
From the book by Lindy Smith